Steak au Poivre, or pepper steak, is a classic French dish that features a perfectly seared and seasoned steak topped with a rich and creamy pepper sauce. It's a decadent and indulgent dish that is perfect for a special occasion or a fancy dinner at home.
The dish starts with a high-quality cut of beef, usually a tenderloin or a ribeye. The steak is seasoned generously with salt and crushed peppercorns, which form a crispy and flavourful crust when seared in a hot pan. The steak is then finished in the oven to achieve the desired level of doneness.
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (1 1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup cognac or brandy
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Pat the steaks dry with paper towels and season them generously with the crushed peppercorns and kosher salt.
- In a large skillet over high heat, add the butter and olive oil. When the butter has melted and the skillet is hot, add the seasoned steaks and sear them on both sides until they form a crust. This should take about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the skillet with the steaks to the oven and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the steak reaches your desired level of doneness. Use a meat thermometer to ensure the steak is cooked to your liking.
- Once the steaks are cooked, remove them from the skillet and transfer them to a plate. Cover them with aluminium foil and let them rest for 10-15 minutes.
- While the steaks are resting, make the pepper sauce. Return the skillet to medium heat and add the cognac or brandy. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beef broth to the skillet and bring it to a simmer. Let it reduce by half.
- Add the heavy cream and Dijon mustard to the skillet, and whisk to combine.
- Let the sauce simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until it thickens to your desired consistency.
- Slice the steaks and serve them with the pepper sauce drizzled over the top. Enjoy!
That's it! With this recipe, you can make your own delicious Steak au Poivre at home.